Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
1 lb pork sausage (regular seasoning)
1⁄2cup onion, finely chopped
1 celery, finely chopped
4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
2 apples, cored and chopped (macintosh)
1⁄2 teaspoon sage
salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1. Combine the melted butter, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoons sage; brush over cut sides and cavity of squash. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Bake in a large roasting pan, cut side up, at 400 degrees F for 1 hour, until squash is tender yet still holds its shape.
3. Meanwhile make stuffing: Fry pork sausage until light brown. Remove pork to a colander to drain. Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings from frypan. Add onion, celery and mushroom; saute 4 minutes. Stir in apple and saute 2 more minutes.
4. Combine the pork and vegetables in a large bowl.
5. Taste and season with sage, salt or pepper if needed (depending on your sausage you may not want to add more seasoning).
6. Stir in the egg and parsley.
7. Fill the squash halves with stuffing-they should be slightly mounded.
8. Return to oven and bake, covered, for 20 more minutes, until the egg is set.
9. Garnish as desired with parsley.